Pages

description of blog

This photo was taken by our daughter, Sarah Timmons, or my wife, depending on who you ask. We were in Rehoboth Beach, DE on Easter Sunday, 2011.


Several years ago, on the way home from a family vacation, I picked up a notebook and quickly recorded an incident that had occurred involving our son. Eventually, I used that story to illustrate something about my spiritual walk as a believer in Christ. Thus began a deliberate attempt to document the significance of everyday events. Almost any ordinary circumstance in daily life can become fodder for another story. This, almost by definition, lends itself to a blog.

Of course, many of the entries here are just ordinary diary style stuff... the stuff of ordinary blogs. Good grief, I don't want to be ordinary.


Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Album Review: Keep Singing by Vinyl Shockley

Play me a song that tells a story, and you’ve got my attention.  Play me a song that tells a story I can identify with, and I’m hooked.  Throw a bluesy voice into the mix and you end up with what Shockley calls “blue eyed soul”.
   
Vinyl Shockley's songwriting is shared primarily by Ed Shockley of Lewes, Delaware and Kevin Walsh.  Watch them live, and you soon come to understand that these guys go way back, as do many of the folks Shockley surrounds himself with in this band and others. Perhaps it is those kinds of relationships that produce such songs.

Ed Shockley and Kevin Walsh
"Keep Singing" is, for one, a story of coming home.  It is a condition most of us have experienced at some point in our lives, whether physically, or as a matter of the heart.  It is the reason this album will strike a chord with anyone who may have walked that path.

While in no way marketed as a gospel album, interspersed throughout are references that surely have their roots in faith.  One can’t help but wonder about the title of the opening track "Child of the Dove".  Shockley proclaims “I’m still a child of the dove”, and with the line “I just can’t seem to quit and un-learn the golden rule” removes most doubt.  Right off, the writer identifies this place of faith as home.

While the lyrics allude to the beauty of this great country, in "Baptize Me", one can quickly see the imagery of that great act of identifying with the work of Christ .  “Take me under, I surrender, in the name of love Baptize me.”  Whatever Shockley had in mind, a believer can take this song and use it as an anthem to his own coming home.

The Reminders at Barratt's Chapel
But such a serious theme does not weigh down the album.  This music is good clean fun, as are the live performances.  Shockley also sings about family, cars, and even throws in a beach tune (that’s beach- not the shore, and definitely not the ocean), complete with Beach Boys melodies. 

Coming home.  In its simplest form, it is coming to a realization of what is most sacred to you.  It is an old and common theme, familiar to most.  And Shockley nails it.   "Right Here at Home" says it best.  “I’ve looked all around, and wouldn’t you know, I found it here at home.”

Note:  When I first heard Vinyl Shockley perform, I had a hunch about his faith.  In time, we learned that he is indeed a believer.  Since then, Ed joined with John Thompson and Kevin Short to form the gospel band "The Reminders"More to follow on them.
 ©Brent A.Timmons 2011

No comments: