Pages

description of blog

This photo was taken by our daughter, Sarah Timmons, or my wife, depending on who you ask. We were in Rehoboth Beach, DE on Easter Sunday, 2011.


Several years ago, on the way home from a family vacation, I picked up a notebook and quickly recorded an incident that had occurred involving our son. Eventually, I used that story to illustrate something about my spiritual walk as a believer in Christ. Thus began a deliberate attempt to document the significance of everyday events. Almost any ordinary circumstance in daily life can become fodder for another story. This, almost by definition, lends itself to a blog.

Of course, many of the entries here are just ordinary diary style stuff... the stuff of ordinary blogs. Good grief, I don't want to be ordinary.


Sunday, October 9, 2011

Scrapple Diplomacy

In a discussion about the appropriate conduct in a questionable situation, I accused a friend of being a legalist.  It was in jest, of course.  But nevertheless, the friend claimed to be insulted.  A few days later, I sent a text to the friend.  "What do I have to do to be forgiven for calling you a legalist?
Rapa Scrapple

"How about a scrapple sandwich" the friend replied.

"Done".  Well, that was easy enough.  A short time later, the friend texted back "when can I expect payment?"

I posted a potential date on a shared Google calendar for our families to have breakfast together.  I followed up later with the text "The fact that scrapple made the Google calendar speaks of its great importance in life.  It has become a tool of diplomacy."

"I think its diplomacy would only be effective for a select group of discerning palates" was the response I received.

Later, a brilliant idea struck.  I wondered if Sussex County was ready for a Scrapple cart.  We would sell one thing... scrapple sandwiches and coffee.  O.K.... two things.  I needed a new venture into which I could pour my heart.

A few days later, I asked another friend what they wanted for their birthday.  "More time, and world peace" was the request.

I informed the friend of my new and evolving theory that if you were to serve scrapple sandwiches in the United Nations, I'm pretty sure the entire group would be put in a frame of mind in which world peace would follow.  But sorry,  I can't do much about the issue of time.

No comments: