Pages

description of blog

This photo was taken by our daughter, Sarah Timmons, or my wife, depending on who you ask. We were in Rehoboth Beach, DE on Easter Sunday, 2011.


Several years ago, on the way home from a family vacation, I picked up a notebook and quickly recorded an incident that had occurred involving our son. Eventually, I used that story to illustrate something about my spiritual walk as a believer in Christ. Thus began a deliberate attempt to document the significance of everyday events. Almost any ordinary circumstance in daily life can become fodder for another story. This, almost by definition, lends itself to a blog.

Of course, many of the entries here are just ordinary diary style stuff... the stuff of ordinary blogs. Good grief, I don't want to be ordinary.


Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Adventures of HandyMan, Chapter 4

Chapter 4
The Psychoanalysis of HandyMan

In the interest of Illumin-Girl's superhero education, HandyMan shared this information:

"I think the desire to create humor and the pleasure I receive from that is a gift God gave me to deal with the blues.  Actually being humorous is not required.  It is the effort which is important."

"Does that mean I helped you realize that with my superpowers, or did you do that on your own?"

"Out of courtesy, we will say you helped."

"Gee, thanks.  I think as a superhero you want to be the only one in the spotlight." 

This, of course, was a misrepresentation of HandyMan, although he did have a secret craving to be in the spotlight on occasion, which he constantly had to suppress.  He continued on with Illumin-Girl's education.  "In the second grade my parents took me to a counselor, suspicious I was suffering from depression as a result of a broken arm.  The counselor said they should get me a dog."

Dead silence from Illumin-Girl.  She was apparently busy processing this new information through her medically oriented mind.  HandyMan pressed on in his straight-to-the-point style. "That was not a joke.  Illumin-Girl has to learn to be able to handle the truth."

"I'm assuming some idiot with a degree suggested a dog would actually fix depression... hope they didn't have to pay him much."

"Actually, he said I wasn't depressed, but just needed cheering up.  We did get a dog, a yappy Chiguagua, which, ironically,  put us all on edge and nearly drove the whole family crazy.  But I was allergic to it, so we traded it in for a Schwinn banana seat bike, and I was fixed."

There were details of the counselor story which HandyMan spared from Illumin-Girl.  While he had gone into the counseling session with a simple case of bad cheer, he had been given a Rorschach test, and almost fell into depression due to his lack of ability to precisely identify the exact thing which each ink blot was meant to represent.  HandyMan was very precise, even at the young age of eight.

But that is more than enough sharing about HandyMan's personal life.  All that is in the past now, but is a brief explanation of one of the many reasons for his bizarre behavior.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having known you Handy-Man for several years, I wouldn't call your behavior bizarre. More like a contemplative,analytical thinker--- Of course, some people just might see this as strange. Well if you were not that way How could you be Handy-Man?

Brent Timmons said...

A person who blogs stuff such as "The Adventures of HandyMan" would be considered bizarre by most, or at the very least,a person who should find better things to do.