Pages

description of blog

This photo was taken by our daughter, Sarah Timmons, or my wife, depending on who you ask. We were in Rehoboth Beach, DE on Easter Sunday, 2011.


Several years ago, on the way home from a family vacation, I picked up a notebook and quickly recorded an incident that had occurred involving our son. Eventually, I used that story to illustrate something about my spiritual walk as a believer in Christ. Thus began a deliberate attempt to document the significance of everyday events. Almost any ordinary circumstance in daily life can become fodder for another story. This, almost by definition, lends itself to a blog.

Of course, many of the entries here are just ordinary diary style stuff... the stuff of ordinary blogs. Good grief, I don't want to be ordinary.


Wednesday, January 25, 2012

"We Just Disagree" by Dave Mason

In my first year of college, a sociology class taught by Henry Nyce created a lot of stir. He had this thing he did for fun where he asked students to bring a favorite song to class. After listening to it, he would tell the student things about themselves based on that song. When I took the class, we unfortunately we never got a chance to do it. However, a friend of mine took the class the year before. She choose this song. I am sorry to say I don't recall what Mr. Nyce had to say, but she wasn't impressed.

Obviously, Mason is talking about a break-up here. But I think he was on to something broader. Too often when we disagree in general, we often feel the need to keep bringing up why our position is correct. There must be a good guy and a bad guy.

The older I get, the more I tend to find that fighting to make my point just isn't worth it. So lets just leave it alone.

Dave Mason
We Just Disagree





Been away, haven't seen you in a while
How've you been, have you changed your style?
And do you think that we've grown up differently?
Don't seem the same, seems you've lost your feel for me

So let's leave it alone 'cause we can't see eye to eye
There ain't no good guy, there ain't no bad guy
There's only you and me and we just disagree
Ooh ooh ooh, oh oh oh

I'm goin' back to a place that's far away, how 'bout you?
Have you got a place to stay?
Why should I care when I'm just trying to get along
We were friends but now it's the end of our love song

So let's leave it alone 'cause we can't see eye to eye
There ain't no good guy, there ain't no bad guy
There's only you and me and we just disagree
Ooh ooh ooh, oh oh oh

So let's leave it alone 'cause we can't see eye to eye
There ain't no good guy, there ain't no bad guy
There's only you and me and we just disagree

3 comments:

blt said...

Great song, great voice. Reminds me somewhat of Ed Shockley. Also reminds me of a term we have often use here at home: We just agree to disagree.

blt said...

Am just curious as to how you are aware of so many songs that say so much?

Brent Timmons said...

There are plenty of songs that say a lot. It's just a matter of taking the time to listen carefully. What I appreciate about music is that if a song is good, you tend to listen to it repeatedly, and the writer gets his message out there over and over. With other forms of writing, the writer may just get one shot at saying what's on his mind. It may only be read once.