Pages

description of blog

This photo was taken by our daughter, Sarah Timmons, or my wife, depending on who you ask. We were in Rehoboth Beach, DE on Easter Sunday, 2011.


Several years ago, on the way home from a family vacation, I picked up a notebook and quickly recorded an incident that had occurred involving our son. Eventually, I used that story to illustrate something about my spiritual walk as a believer in Christ. Thus began a deliberate attempt to document the significance of everyday events. Almost any ordinary circumstance in daily life can become fodder for another story. This, almost by definition, lends itself to a blog.

Of course, many of the entries here are just ordinary diary style stuff... the stuff of ordinary blogs. Good grief, I don't want to be ordinary.


Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Best Valentines Gift EVER

Text messaging suits me perfectly.  I take pleasure in the short, to the point conversations, which can be ended at any moment by either party.  And I enjoy them in the midst of a work day when I am normally working alone.  One day, while working on our shed at home, I took a picture and sent it to a friend of mine with the caption “Our shed taking shape.” This is the shed we had been intending to build for a long 9 years.

I did not hear from my friend that day, so I sent him another text the following day.  “Did you get the picture of my shed?  No Comment?  This is important artist stuff.”  The artist comment referred to a story I had written about the circumstances involving the beginnings of this particular shed, with which Joe was familiar.

The shed is handsome, resembling our Cape Cod style house in miniature.  He responded “Now is this a shed or your new studio?”

Joe must have had a burst of inspiration about the shed’s use.  I responded “Never thought about a studio.  Awesome idea.  Can you go to bat for me with my wife?"

No response… So I added “You should strike now.  She is sick and her defenses are down.”

Joe responded “This is all you, man”.  Great, a spineless wimp of a friend. 

“I am a brother in need of a man space.  Can’t you feel my pain?”

All I got was an “Amen”.  Joe was not going to come through for me.  I would have to go a different route.  I took another picture of the shed, and wrote my pal Bill “I am building this shed for Tina.  I think it should be my office.  I need a godly friend to convince her.  Can I count on you?

Bill, unlike spineless Joe, came through for me, in an unexpected sort of way.  “I got your back. (But can’t you share it?)”

“Compromise?  What are you, new school?”

Then Bill had his own burst of inspiration.  “Is this her Valentine’s gift?  You are such a romantic.”

Just what I needed, a wise guy.  Hey buster, maybe this was my Valentine’s gift.  Well, I hadn’t intended it that way before, but now that he mentioned it, it was worth considering.  Regardless,  I didn’t appreciate the insinuation about my abilities in the romantic department.  I shot back “You hurt my feelings.”

“What?!  I was complimenting you!  I was only going to take my wife away for the weekend to a nice hotel, dinner and spa.  You are way more creative.”

Hmm.  I like this guy.  He is on a wise train of thought.  I could do without my man space.  May as well pick his brain for some more information.  “Oh, so I don’t need to buy flowers?”

“No way.  And trust me.  Any woman would prefer a shed over chocolate.”  Bill was really on to something. But I may be able to improve on his ideas.

“I think I will throw in fifty year shingles as icing on the cake.”

End of conversation.  What more can a man ask for than friends like this?

1 comment:

Myra said...

I would totally prefer a shed over chocolate. Especially if I could claim it as my own. For a studio. Because that's part of the deal.