Pages

description of blog

This photo was taken by our daughter, Sarah Timmons, or my wife, depending on who you ask. We were in Rehoboth Beach, DE on Easter Sunday, 2011.


Several years ago, on the way home from a family vacation, I picked up a notebook and quickly recorded an incident that had occurred involving our son. Eventually, I used that story to illustrate something about my spiritual walk as a believer in Christ. Thus began a deliberate attempt to document the significance of everyday events. Almost any ordinary circumstance in daily life can become fodder for another story. This, almost by definition, lends itself to a blog.

Of course, many of the entries here are just ordinary diary style stuff... the stuff of ordinary blogs. Good grief, I don't want to be ordinary.


Monday, June 25, 2012

Things You Think About While Running

One of the reasons I enjoy running is that it frees your mind of just about everything while doing it.  I often find that if I want to think about anything, I have to make a conscious effort to do it, and I am able to focus solely on that one thing.  Otherwise my mind just focuses on the next step, the next breath, aches, my pace and other important running stuff.

Despite all that, one thing that frequently just pops into my head is a person - Brendan Warner.  Brendan was a classmate of mine at Indian River High in Frankford, DE.  He ran cross country (one of many sports), and after just about every cross country meet, the morning announcements would include the news that he had won.

I once ran with Brendan, or actually behind him, at one of those semi-annual PT tests they make you take in school so that they can chart whether you improved at all from all those PT classes.  He ran with a relaxed style, his arms at his side, and with his hands dangling completely relaxed at the wrist, almost limp.  It wasn't until some time later that I learned that this relaxed form is perfect for distance running.

So once in a while I will look down at my hands while running, and think of Brendan.  And for a brief period of time, I will relax my wrists like he did.  I've done it for the past 29 years of running.  If I had run cross country with him, I'm sure that wouldn't have been the only thing he taught me.

It just goes to show the kind of crazy things I remember, and makes me wonder about what kind of things people remember about me.

Don't mean to get all weird, Brendan.  Go Redskins!

No comments: