Pages

description of blog

This photo was taken by our daughter, Sarah Timmons, or my wife, depending on who you ask. We were in Rehoboth Beach, DE on Easter Sunday, 2011.


Several years ago, on the way home from a family vacation, I picked up a notebook and quickly recorded an incident that had occurred involving our son. Eventually, I used that story to illustrate something about my spiritual walk as a believer in Christ. Thus began a deliberate attempt to document the significance of everyday events. Almost any ordinary circumstance in daily life can become fodder for another story. This, almost by definition, lends itself to a blog.

Of course, many of the entries here are just ordinary diary style stuff... the stuff of ordinary blogs. Good grief, I don't want to be ordinary.


Monday, July 23, 2012

Flat-footing with The Homegrown String Band

I got home from work, and hurriedly looked at the concert schedule for Stango Park in Lewes, DE for that evening.  I thought it said that "The Rogues", a Celtic band, would be playing.  So we headed off the Lewes.  When we got settled into our chairs, we soon realized that I had apparently made a mistake.  Instead of "The Rogues" playing, it would be "The Homegrown String Band". 

The band is a family, and plays music "inspired by the rural string bands of the early 20th century".  We took a liking to the band, and were glad we had mistakenly stumbled into their show.  The father, Rick, commented that later in the show, the girls would be doing some flat-footing.

Coincidentally, we had just been talking to my mother about my grandmother flat-footing.  Mommom used to talk about getting together on the weekends with her family and playing music.  Eventually they would end up flat-footing.

I regret that I don't recall seeing Mommom flat-foot.  I remember her talking about it, and for some dumb reason, I never asked her to demonstrate it for me.  Perhaps she never did because there was no one left to play the music.

So near the end of The Homegrown String Band's performance, the mother and two daughters flat-footed.  I pulled out our digital camera and recorded a small portion of each woman's dance in video.  They all have a slightly different style.  I picture Mommom Timmons flat-footing in the style of the last daughter.



It is this kind of thing that creates a connection that attracts me to people.  After the concert, our families chatted with each other.  As I spoke with him, I realized that Rick was not as old as I had thought, but rather was probably about my age. We bought a cd, and wished them well.

A few days later, I checked the schedule of the Delaware International Speedway in Delmar, Delaware, found when the Little Lincoln cars would be racing (a club of racers who drive 50's era dirt track cars), and invited my dad to join the boys and I for a Saturday night of racing and talk of fast driving.

8 comments:

Mom said...

Wonderful story. I can picture the whole episode in my mind. By the way, I could do it for a few minutes, but it was hard to keep the flow of the music for me. I remember Mommom used to say, "you can do it". She was a great encourager. Faye will remember this also.

Mom said...

PS. I think I looked more like the Mother!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Had no idea there were people who still flat-footed.

Brent Timmons said...

Mom, As to your looking like the mother, I suspect you give yourself too much credit.

Mom said...

You are right!I just did see the videos. Didn't realize I could do that. Now, I really looked more like the dancers when their feet were just on the floor "flat-footed" Never did master any kicks. Wonder if I should try that now!!!!!!! JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!

Rick Jackofsky said...

Brent,

Glad you and your family "stumbled" on our show at Stango Park. If any one is interested in learning more about flatfoot dancing, I recommend watching the documentary film "Talking Feet" produced by Mike Seeger and the Smithsonian Institute. It looks like we will be retuning to Lewes next summer, so hopefully we will see you then, if not sooner.

Rick

Brent Timmons said...

We will check the film out Rick. Thanks. Will bring my mother next summer. She claims to have learned flat-footing from my grandmother, but I have my doubts.

Brent Timmons said...

These are some other comments from my mother: Had no idea it was well known. Somehow thought that it was just a jig that Mommom's family did and had learned from some other "old-folks". Dad just said that Aunt Birdie and Aunt Dollie Mae were really good, and that Preston Rogers, Dad's cousin was really, really good. Uncle Henry played the fiddle; Uncle Ni played the guitar; Mommom the piano; Bill Long (a friend from Dagsboro) played the steel guitar. Dad just told me that he always knew it was a cultural dance, and had seen it on the Grand Ole Opera. Sometimes other family members, and friends would come by just to enjoy the time together. Really interesting. Would love to see the film.



Mom