Pages

description of blog

This photo was taken by our daughter, Sarah Timmons, or my wife, depending on who you ask. We were in Rehoboth Beach, DE on Easter Sunday, 2011.


Several years ago, on the way home from a family vacation, I picked up a notebook and quickly recorded an incident that had occurred involving our son. Eventually, I used that story to illustrate something about my spiritual walk as a believer in Christ. Thus began a deliberate attempt to document the significance of everyday events. Almost any ordinary circumstance in daily life can become fodder for another story. This, almost by definition, lends itself to a blog.

Of course, many of the entries here are just ordinary diary style stuff... the stuff of ordinary blogs. Good grief, I don't want to be ordinary.


Thursday, December 13, 2012

Classic Texting Misunderstanding

I set out for work.  It wasn't all that cold, but I was uncomfortable nevertheless.  I received a text from a friend, referring to a conversation we had the previous day about this friend getting back into running. 

Friend:  "I have decided that I would rather have the accomplishment of running without all the work and discipline beforehand."

It was apparent the discussion about my friend's future career in running was finished, so I took the conversation in a different direction, and threw in a reference to the fact we both enjoy soup on chilly, overcast days.

Brent:  "I have decided I need some body fat for the winter, or a lot of soup."

Long pause.

Friend:  "Why the fat person?"

What?  That response made no sense whatsoever.  This happens to me more than I care to admit.  I go off in a direction in a conversation, and fail to give the other person adequate clues as to where I'm going.  I guessed it had happened again. So I made an effort to clarify.

Brent:  "I'm cold, and I didn't say fat person."

Friend:  "Oh! :) I read that as somebody fat... you shouldn't have done all that running."

Hmmm.  So ...  I had communicated that I need somebody fat for the winter.  I really need to work on my communication skills.

No comments: