Pages

description of blog

This photo was taken by our daughter, Sarah Timmons, or my wife, depending on who you ask. We were in Rehoboth Beach, DE on Easter Sunday, 2011.


Several years ago, on the way home from a family vacation, I picked up a notebook and quickly recorded an incident that had occurred involving our son. Eventually, I used that story to illustrate something about my spiritual walk as a believer in Christ. Thus began a deliberate attempt to document the significance of everyday events. Almost any ordinary circumstance in daily life can become fodder for another story. This, almost by definition, lends itself to a blog.

Of course, many of the entries here are just ordinary diary style stuff... the stuff of ordinary blogs. Good grief, I don't want to be ordinary.


Thursday, December 27, 2012

The Leap onto Facebook

I finally set up a Facebook account yesterday after years of avoiding it.


I had a list of reasons not to make the leap, which includes, but is not limited to, the following:
  • I tend to compulsively do certain things, like checking my e-mail.  I don't want to become a compulsive Facebook checker.
  • While I would like to apply the above guideline, I don't want to come across as someone who ignores other Facebook people.  So I will have to check my Facebook account at least occasionally to avoid such an offense.
  • This may lead to the compulsive behavior in item one above.
  • I have heard that Facebook may have the tendency to lead you to interact with many people on a causal level, but take away time from interaction with the people who are really close to you.  By nature, I tend to interact intensely with a few people.  So Facebook may cause my head to blow up or something.
  • I enjoy more in-depth written communication, with pictures and many words, which is why I blog.  But nobody has any time or interest in lengthy blog entries, especially mine.  People apparently prefer short bursts of communication like the ones you see on Facebook.  So to conform to this current social phenomenon, I have elected to join the masses.

There is a list to make the leap, which includes, but is not limited to, the following:
  • I intend to trick Facebook users into going to my blog, which is my real passion, by updating with links to my blog.  I'm not sure if this is a Facebook no-no or not.
  • I was once sarcastically accused of "Being too cool to be on Facebook."  Perhaps I deserved that sarcasm, and intend to remedy the situation. 
  • Maybe I need to get out more.
  • According to Mr. Rogers, we are all just a little different and special.  So I intend to apply my own take to Facebook, because I'm different, and special too.

No comments: