Pages

description of blog

This photo was taken by our daughter, Sarah Timmons, or my wife, depending on who you ask. We were in Rehoboth Beach, DE on Easter Sunday, 2011.


Several years ago, on the way home from a family vacation, I picked up a notebook and quickly recorded an incident that had occurred involving our son. Eventually, I used that story to illustrate something about my spiritual walk as a believer in Christ. Thus began a deliberate attempt to document the significance of everyday events. Almost any ordinary circumstance in daily life can become fodder for another story. This, almost by definition, lends itself to a blog.

Of course, many of the entries here are just ordinary diary style stuff... the stuff of ordinary blogs. Good grief, I don't want to be ordinary.


Saturday, November 12, 2011

Sea Finds

I first met Al and Linda Abrams when they asked me to build a deck for them in May of 2002.  One day while working alone at their house, I noticed a container of Skittles sitting out.  I ate a majority of them, and left a note informing them of my dirty deed.  Since then, every time I have done any work for the Abram's, I always find a supply of Skittles waiting for me on the job. 


The Abrams opened up a little gift shop in Rehoboth Beach, DE a few years ago called Sea Finds.  I wasn't aware of it until they decided to move to a better location and needed a counter/room divider built.  I fell in love with their shop.  I especially appreciated the fact that Al makes many of the items, and others are made by local artists.  I took my wife and children in, and they all fell in love with the shop as well.



When our anniversary rolled around last summer ('11), I knew the perfect gift for my wife.  The Abrams carried sea glass pendant necklaces.  I devised a plan to stop in the shop with my wife, where she would pick out a necklace, and then we would continue on to dinner.  I texted Linda of my intentions, and asked for suggestions for dinner.  She suggested a Mexican restaurant directly across the street from their shop, the Mariachi Restaurant.  Perfect.  Linda told me to let her know when we were on our way so that she would be sure to be there.

Tina was pleased with my plan as it unfolded.  We found a necklace she liked.  As we left the shop, Al gave me a business card and told me to give it to the man at the door of Mariachi's.  "Ahh," he said, and took us upstairs to an outside deck table.  We had a wonderful dinner, and when it came time to pay our bill, the waiter informed us that it "was all taken care of".  Of course, we knew immediately what had happened, and hightailed it back to the Abrams to thank them.

It was a beautiful gesture, and a defining moment in our relationship.  This couple genuinely cares about us.  They have become much more than customers over the past 9 years.  They have become our friends.  This type of developing relationship is one of the things that gives me the greatest satisfaction in my line of work.  It's what turns work into pleasure.  And without it, work would just be, well work.

No comments: