Pages

description of blog

This photo was taken by our daughter, Sarah Timmons, or my wife, depending on who you ask. We were in Rehoboth Beach, DE on Easter Sunday, 2011.


Several years ago, on the way home from a family vacation, I picked up a notebook and quickly recorded an incident that had occurred involving our son. Eventually, I used that story to illustrate something about my spiritual walk as a believer in Christ. Thus began a deliberate attempt to document the significance of everyday events. Almost any ordinary circumstance in daily life can become fodder for another story. This, almost by definition, lends itself to a blog.

Of course, many of the entries here are just ordinary diary style stuff... the stuff of ordinary blogs. Good grief, I don't want to be ordinary.


Saturday, October 27, 2012

A Season for All Things?

Until I change my mind, this may be my last blog posting for now.

When I started blogging on July 12, 2011, I had an idea in mind of what would happen.  I was hoping some of the entries would start a conversation.  I was hoping for a large base of readers.  Instead, it became, in essence, an on-line diary of sorts, read by very few.  That was not what I had in mind.

It takes time to blog.  The question becomes "Is it worth the investment?"  I have taken the position in the past that I write because it is fulfilling in its own right, regardless of whether anyone else gets anything out of it.  But when you labor over a work,  you enjoy knowing that someone is receiving benefit from that effort.  That is one of the things that hasn't happened in my experience in blogging, with the exception of comments from a few family members and friends which have kept me going for this long.  And if there is no benefit to the reader, then it is simply a selfish endeavor that takes time away from something of real value.

I don't fault anyone for this.  One's own importance is always exaggerated in one's own mind I think.  People don't live waiting for the next word out of a blogger's mouth.  We all live busy lives.

I shall certainly continue to write, but perhaps I should focus on other areas, and when the urge comes to compose, I will work on those things.

Or, perhaps I simply had a bad day, and will press on.  You never know what a moody person might do.

Brent


O.K.  Enough of that.  I have changed my mind.  After a good night's sleep, and the escape of one of Asher's crayfish, I realize that blogging may be an indispensable outlet to record important events of life.  And if I had a nickle for every time I had a pity party...

1 comment:

Marcia said...

Glad that you changed your mind. Blogging is great, even if no one else ever reads it! I find it therapeutic and I love that it can constantly change format. No writing within a box, it is exactly what you want it to be.