Pages

description of blog

This photo was taken by our daughter, Sarah Timmons, or my wife, depending on who you ask. We were in Rehoboth Beach, DE on Easter Sunday, 2011.


Several years ago, on the way home from a family vacation, I picked up a notebook and quickly recorded an incident that had occurred involving our son. Eventually, I used that story to illustrate something about my spiritual walk as a believer in Christ. Thus began a deliberate attempt to document the significance of everyday events. Almost any ordinary circumstance in daily life can become fodder for another story. This, almost by definition, lends itself to a blog.

Of course, many of the entries here are just ordinary diary style stuff... the stuff of ordinary blogs. Good grief, I don't want to be ordinary.


Saturday, May 5, 2012

Chicago vs. Neil Diamond


It must have been the Christmas of 1970.  My parents thought it would be nice to give my brother and me each an album.  Buddy received Chicago's second project, simply titled "Chicago", which later became known as "Chicago II".  I, on the other hand, received Neil Diamond's Tap Root Manuscript.  Both albums had been released that year.

Buddy had been fortunate enough to actually see Chicago perform live in Lousiville, KY during a summer visit to see our Uncle Bud and Aunt Tinka.  He was only 13, and did not participate in the dope smoking that took place at the concert, or so we were told.  I was not allowed to go to the concert, as I had spent several weeks in Louisville with just my cousin Mike, before the rest of the family went out later that summer.  My uncle wanted to do "something special" with my brother, since I had already had that privilege.  I understood, but resented not being able to tag along, and may in fact still be harboring unforgiveness in my heart.

To add insult to this injury, Buddy got the Chicago album, and I got the Neil Diamond album.  I never saw Diamond in concert.  But if I had, I doubt there would have been anyone smoking pot, or any other cool people for that matter, period.  There would only have been older people tip toeing into the world of rock, but afraid to get wet because the water was too cold, or turbulent.

Nevertheless, I did my darnedness to view Neil Diamond as cool.  It was hard not to like "Crackin' Rosie" and "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother", although thus far, my road had not been that long, nor had many a winding turns, and my younger brother was, well, five years of age, and that about says it all.

So I listened to Tap Root Manuscript, but I listened to Chicago more.  And Chicago became one of my favorite albums of all time, an album I came to appreciate more and more, even in the last few years.

In the vinyl version, it is a double album.  On side 2 of the first disc, Chicago recorded essentially one big song titled "Ballet for a Girl in Buchannon", which is divided up into 7 songs.  Twelve minutes and 41 seconds of pure musical brilliance.  Many of the songs will be familiar, but probably only a select few have heard them in succession, as they were intended to be listened to.  Of course, no one has the time to listen to this, but if you feel compelled, then here it is.


Post Script:  I have not posted a link to any Neil Diamond songs, intentionally.  Interesting story... my college roommate in my sophomore year was an actual Neil Diamond fan.  Bill's exposure to Diamond came through his parents as well.  They did not give him an album, but had a secret stash of questionable music which Bill would sneak out and listen to when his mother wasn't watching.

Years later, another friend Bill informed me matter of factly that Neil Diamond was in no way cool, and never had been.  I was a little dismayed at this revelation, and now wonder if all this had something to do with my unpopularity in school with the cool kids.

Addendum to the Post Script:  Perhaps I have not been clear, as I whipped this entry up in record time.  I did not mean to imply that Neil Diamond is cool.  In my effort to be a good child and enjoy the gift of the album, I made every attempt to view it as cool.  But deep down, I think I always knew it wasn't so.  Should have gone with my gut.  It took Bill #2 to show me that I just needed to let it go.  Sorry Mom and Dad.  

Another random comment:  According to Bill #2, Neil Diamond is not a cause of uncoolness, but merely a symptom.  This is the kind of profound statement that causes me to stay in touch with Bill #2, as this is just the tip of the iceberg regarding his wisdom.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Somehow I remember thinking how good Neil Diamond was. Come to think of it, I still do.!!

Anonymous said...

Kentucky woman was a great song. And all I remember about the concert was going to a funny smelling smoke filled bathroom. As I'm writing this, no joking, Neil
Diamond is singing on Idol! Chicago has never performed on Idol. You were way ahead of your time. Don't harbor that unforgiveness any longer.Sweet Caroline, good times never seemed so good, so good, so good, so good...

Brent Timmons said...

"Way ahead of my time". I like that. Yea, maybe that's what it was.