Pages

description of blog

This photo was taken by our daughter, Sarah Timmons, or my wife, depending on who you ask. We were in Rehoboth Beach, DE on Easter Sunday, 2011.


Several years ago, on the way home from a family vacation, I picked up a notebook and quickly recorded an incident that had occurred involving our son. Eventually, I used that story to illustrate something about my spiritual walk as a believer in Christ. Thus began a deliberate attempt to document the significance of everyday events. Almost any ordinary circumstance in daily life can become fodder for another story. This, almost by definition, lends itself to a blog.

Of course, many of the entries here are just ordinary diary style stuff... the stuff of ordinary blogs. Good grief, I don't want to be ordinary.


Sunday, May 13, 2012

Smith Island Cake for Mother's Day

It started, coincidentally, with a trip to the airport to pick up my mother and father.  Turns out, it was an unnecessary trip, as a breakdown in communication resulted in my brother arriving at the airport just after I did to pick up the very same mother and father.  We should talk more.

But it was not a complete waste of time, because my daughter Sarah and I discovered a department of tourism brochure rack, and picked up a recipe for a Smith Island cake.  So when Tina suggested we have our mothers over for lunch on Sunday, I decided to make good out of the mistaken trip to the airport.  The girls and I would make a Smith Island cake for Mother's Day.

This was a feat attempted only once by my wife.  She explained that it is labor intensive and a nuisance, as the cakes typically have at least 8 layers.  That's the whole point, I explained.  That's what makes it special.  If it were easy, everybody would do it.

So with the recipe in hand, Sarah and I whipped this thing up.  It went amazingly well, until we got to the chocolate icing, which apparently seized (cooks will know what that means...  I will spare you the horrible details.)  After a second fresh attempt, we got the same exact results. 

We reminded ourselves that if this were easy, everyone would do it.  This is what made it special.

Tina came to our aid, and discovered a way to rescue both failed attempts at chocolate icing with the use of some whipping cream and a blender. 

And then, it was finished.  I saw that it was not exactly good, but acceptable.  But it's the thought that counts, right?

Happy Mother's Day Tina, Bette Lou, and Ruth.  Hope you appreciate all the work we put forth to honor you on this special day.  It isn't every son and granddaughter who would go to such great lengths.

1 comment:

Mom said...

What a wonderful gift from my favorite middle son. It's beyond words. So glad for the mix up re. the airport. Just goes to show how good can come from any circumstance. (Some situations require much,much,much more thinking, I admit, cause we're not looking down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who else but your Mom. Love you