Pages

description of blog

This photo was taken by our daughter, Sarah Timmons, or my wife, depending on who you ask. We were in Rehoboth Beach, DE on Easter Sunday, 2011.


Several years ago, on the way home from a family vacation, I picked up a notebook and quickly recorded an incident that had occurred involving our son. Eventually, I used that story to illustrate something about my spiritual walk as a believer in Christ. Thus began a deliberate attempt to document the significance of everyday events. Almost any ordinary circumstance in daily life can become fodder for another story. This, almost by definition, lends itself to a blog.

Of course, many of the entries here are just ordinary diary style stuff... the stuff of ordinary blogs. Good grief, I don't want to be ordinary.


Saturday, November 24, 2012

Two Weeks to Go

A friend of mine recently asked about my marathon training and then sarcastically added "I need you to post another running blog".  So here's an update, whether you want it or not.

You can look at where I'm at in my schedule by clicking this link to another post:  Training Schedule.

I'm currently tapering my running down, as the training calls for reduced miles in the weeks prior to the race.  My long run topped out at a 20 miler last week.  A surprising number of people curious about the training have asked "So you don't actually run the full 26 miles before the race?" Hmmm.

The hardest part of the training was increasing the long run from 6 miles up to about 12 miles.  Once I made it to that point, adding the additional miles wasn't as difficult.  I've had minor aches in my feet, but otherwise feel great.

One would think that after working up to these long runs, a short 3 or 4 mile run would be a piece of cake.  Physically it is indeed easier now.  But it still takes the same amount of energy to just get out there and do it.  I had a relatively short 12 mile run this Saturday morning.  You would think this would be a psychological cinch after running 20 miles last week.  It just 'aint so.  And this has everything to do with why marathon training, or any long term training, takes determination.  Determination doesn't come naturally for me.  It's why I put myself in the position to get a lot of practice.

Someone recently asked me why I run.  It would take a long time to answer that question.  For now, I'll give you a list.
  • Running is good for your heart.
  • Running is good for battling moodiness (although it is not a cure.)
  • Running gives one time to ponder.
  • Running is good for lowering cholesterol
  • Running controls weight.
  • I just heard that the risk factors for Alzheimers are the same as the risk factors for heart disease.  So apparently what's good for your heart is also good for your brain.
  • Being fit makes me feel better physically, and knowing it makes me feel better mentally.
  • I like setting lofty goals which can actually be attained.
Of course, most of this can be accomplished with a much more moderate schedule.  But once in a while I enjoy setting an outrageous goal.  I think the effort required does something for my psyche.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have heard runners say that they run bacause some chemical is released in the brain that makes them feel mentally better. Have you experienced this?

Brent Timmons said...

I've heard that too, and assume it is true, but the effect isn't dramatic for me.

Marcia said...

I would never be sarcastic...

Mom said...

You have probably said before, but I was wondering if you made the schedule or if it is a recommended one.

Also, what kind of time are you aiming for. I know you sort of run against yourself. Excited to come to the race.

Brent Timmons said...

I looked at several schedules designed for beginner marathoners, and chose the one I liked best. I'm aiming for 10:00/mile realistically, but hope to run faster, like 9:09/mile, putting me at a finish time of 4 hours. It is very hard to predict how race day will affect your time. You always run faster during a race than during training.