Pages

description of blog

This photo was taken by our daughter, Sarah Timmons, or my wife, depending on who you ask. We were in Rehoboth Beach, DE on Easter Sunday, 2011.


Several years ago, on the way home from a family vacation, I picked up a notebook and quickly recorded an incident that had occurred involving our son. Eventually, I used that story to illustrate something about my spiritual walk as a believer in Christ. Thus began a deliberate attempt to document the significance of everyday events. Almost any ordinary circumstance in daily life can become fodder for another story. This, almost by definition, lends itself to a blog.

Of course, many of the entries here are just ordinary diary style stuff... the stuff of ordinary blogs. Good grief, I don't want to be ordinary.


Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Wonderful Tonight


When I was in high school and college, I had a habit of picking out songs I labeled as "favorites". While there was a lot of music I appreciated, there were only a handful on this list.  A song becoming a favorite was a peculiar event.  Something would strike me about the song, usually immediately.  These days, songs rarely make it onto any favorites list. It probably has something to do with my memory being filled to capacity, and the fact age has a tendency to level out the highs.

The reasons for this song making it onto the list are numerous. Part of it is Clapton's voice, which sounds great on its own. Part of it is the guitar setting up the song with a tender tone.  Funny how music can do that just in the way it sounds to the ear. But the kicker was probably the theme of having found someone to love... it's hard not to like such a song.


 Wonderful Tonight
by Eric Clapton


 It's late in the evening; she's wondering what clothes to wear.
She puts on her make-up and brushes her long blonde hair.
And then she asks me, "Do I look all right?"
And I say, "Yes, you look wonderful tonight."

We go to a party and everyone turns to see
This beautiful lady that's walking around with me.
And then she asks me, "Do you feel all right?"
And I say, "Yes, I feel wonderful tonight."

I feel wonderful because I see
The love light in your eyes.
And the wonder of it all
Is that you just don't realize how much I love you.

It's time to go home now and I've got an aching head,
So I give her the car keys and she helps me to bed.
And then I tell her, as I turn out the light,
I say, "My darling, you were wonderful tonight.
Oh my darling, you were wonderful tonight."




4 comments:

blt said...

I keep wondering where I was when these songs were being played!You know there are only so many I can buy, but I'm going nuts trying to find the albums on e-bay. Such wonderful music and lyics. I don't hear that today, unless I'm missing them on the radio. So many do remind me of Ed Shockley"s music.I love that ballad sound. I can hardly wait to hear the next one you write about.!!!!!!!!!

Brent Timmons said...

Most of these songs were played on stations that played pop music back in the day. Much of the music would have sounded like noise to your generation, so understandably, you didn't listen to those stations. That's where you were.

Myra said...

Clapton is as good as it gets.

Your Frame Lady said...

One of my all time favorites. I will never say "old" time.