Pages

description of blog

This photo was taken by our daughter, Sarah Timmons, or my wife, depending on who you ask. We were in Rehoboth Beach, DE on Easter Sunday, 2011.


Several years ago, on the way home from a family vacation, I picked up a notebook and quickly recorded an incident that had occurred involving our son. Eventually, I used that story to illustrate something about my spiritual walk as a believer in Christ. Thus began a deliberate attempt to document the significance of everyday events. Almost any ordinary circumstance in daily life can become fodder for another story. This, almost by definition, lends itself to a blog.

Of course, many of the entries here are just ordinary diary style stuff... the stuff of ordinary blogs. Good grief, I don't want to be ordinary.


Thursday, February 2, 2012

I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry

I was very young when I saw the movie "Your Cheatin' Heart”.  It came out in 1964, and depicted the life of Hank Williams Sr.  My parents owned the movie soundtrack.  However, this created a confusion which my young mind could not get straight.  On the album cover, there is a picture of the actor who portrayed Williams in the movie, so I assumed Hank looked like George Hamilton.  The songs on the soundtrack were sung by Hank Williams Jr., who actually did sound much like his father.  So the identity of Hank Williams was a blur for me. 

This is no condemnation of my parents, but in hindsight, a 6 year old kid probably had no business listening to Hank Sr. or Hank Jr. sing “I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry”.  It is terribly troubling - maybe the saddest of all sad songs, not so much just in the words, but in the tone.  But it was immensely popular, perhaps because it speaks of one of the most common of all human conditions - loneliness.

In this song, Hank's loneliness is apparently due to being separated from the woman he loves (“…and as I wonder where you are...").  It would seem that men, by design, or if you are a Darwinist, by instinct, seek to quiet loneliness with a mate.  My own years of loneliness were the worse from the day I first began to crave a spouse until the day The Lord gave me one.  Loneliness would come and go, depending on the current status of that quest.

I think The Lord held off on my search for a mate until He was able to teach me a vital lesson.  Contrary to what may seem logical, loneliness is not meant to be satisfied by a spouse. We are not ordinary creatures seeking to satisfy an instinctual craving to propagate our species.  We may find a mate, but that will not necessarily bring an end to our loneliness. 

We were created to have our loneliness satisfied by God Himself.  It was only after I had just about decided I could live alone, and could trust God to make me content in that state, that He brought along my wife.  And she, no, He, dealt a blow to loneliness.

Hank Williams
I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
Hear that lonesome whippoorwill
He sounds too blue to fly
The midnight train is whining low
I'm so lonesome I could cry

I've never seen a night so long
When time goes crawling by
The moon just went behind the clouds
To hide its face and cry

Did you ever see a robin weep
When leaves began to die?
Like me he's lost the will to live
I'm so lonesome I could cry

The silence of a falling star
Lights up a purple sky
And as I wonder where you are
I'm so lonesome I could cry

First appeared in the February, 2012 edition of the Manna. http://readthemanna.org


1 comment:

blt said...

i do believe that are are those who feel just that lonely. What do we do as believers? Hopefully Christ is manifested through us and "Hope" is seen.