Pages

description of blog

This photo was taken by our daughter, Sarah Timmons, or my wife, depending on who you ask. We were in Rehoboth Beach, DE on Easter Sunday, 2011.


Several years ago, on the way home from a family vacation, I picked up a notebook and quickly recorded an incident that had occurred involving our son. Eventually, I used that story to illustrate something about my spiritual walk as a believer in Christ. Thus began a deliberate attempt to document the significance of everyday events. Almost any ordinary circumstance in daily life can become fodder for another story. This, almost by definition, lends itself to a blog.

Of course, many of the entries here are just ordinary diary style stuff... the stuff of ordinary blogs. Good grief, I don't want to be ordinary.


Monday, March 19, 2012

Sad Songs...Late for the Sky

Don't really have anything to add to this song.  It speaks for itself.  The end of a relationship.  Ugh.  If I think of anything else to add, I will.

Oddly enough, the car on the album cover is either a '52 or '53 Chevy.  See First Car blog entry.

O.K..... I thought of a comment.  One may make the assumption that I like these sad songs because back in the day,  I enjoyed listening to songs such as this which spoke to a familiar situation, a "let's share our sorrows together" kind of thing.  That may be true to a degree, but there something that makes such a song attractive now. Commenter "blt" alluded to this idea.  The singer/songwriter makes you feel what he is feeling.  And whether you have experienced what he has or not, you understand what he went through.  That kind of connection makes you feel alive.




"Late for the Sky"
Jackson Browne
1974

All the words had all been spoken,
Somehow the feeling still wasn't right
And still we continued on through the night.
Tracing our steps from the beginning,
Until they vanished into the air
Trying to understand how our lives had led us there.
Looking hard into your eyes
There was nobody I'd ever known
Such an empty surprise
To feel so alone.

Now, for me, some words come easy
But I know that they don't mean that much
Compared with the things that are said when lovers touch.
You never knew what I loved in you
I don't know what you loved in me.
Maybe the picture of somebody you were hoping I might be.

Awake again, I can't pretend
That I know I'm alone,
And close to the end
Of the feeling we've known.
How long have I been sleeping?
How long have I been drifting along through the night?
How long have I been dreaming I could make it right,
If I closed my eyes and tried with all my might,
To be the one you need?

Awake again, I can't pretend
That I know I'm alone,
And close to the end
Of the feeling we've known.
How long have I been sleeping?
How long have I been drifting along through the night?
How long have I been running for that morning flight
Through the whispered promises, and the changing light
Of the bed where we both lie,
Late for the sky.

1 comment:

blt said...

Another unbelievable song and song-writer.He surely "feels" what he is singing.Sometimes I think that is lacking today, but then----what do I know.