Pages

description of blog

This photo was taken by our daughter, Sarah Timmons, or my wife, depending on who you ask. We were in Rehoboth Beach, DE on Easter Sunday, 2011.


Several years ago, on the way home from a family vacation, I picked up a notebook and quickly recorded an incident that had occurred involving our son. Eventually, I used that story to illustrate something about my spiritual walk as a believer in Christ. Thus began a deliberate attempt to document the significance of everyday events. Almost any ordinary circumstance in daily life can become fodder for another story. This, almost by definition, lends itself to a blog.

Of course, many of the entries here are just ordinary diary style stuff... the stuff of ordinary blogs. Good grief, I don't want to be ordinary.


Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Simple Pleasures

I stumbled upon a runner's blog today by chance, and thought to myself  "This is really boring to read."  And I'm a runner.  Note to self:  blogging about running is boring.


It has been exactly one week since the terrible calf strain (see previous post).  I have been diligent to ice the leg a few times a day, and to rest it from running.

Yesterday, I was traipsing around Lowes  (well, I wasn't exactly traipsing - I was on a mission - but traipse is a good word, and should be used more often, even if inappropriately).   I was eager to test the leg, so I ran for short distances... down an aisle or two, and from the exit door back to my truck.  I felt no pain whatsoever.  In fact my injured left leg felt better than my right.

This morning, I did notice some soreness in the leg.  But that disappeared later in the day.  So before dinner, I took a very cautious slow run of just over a half mile.  I have never run so anxiously.  Again, no pain.  I stretched afterwards, and iced the calf.  We shall see how it is tomorrow, but I fully expect to feel some soreness.

Once I get back on track, I think I will be more grateful than ever for the simple pleasure of running.


Note to the reader:  The above is not a blog entry about running.  It is a blog entry about not fully knowing what you have until you lose it.


5 comments:

Mom said...

I enjoy reading a runner's blog!

I know what you mean by missing simple things when they are gone.(Like the use of a leg).

Marcia said...

Seems an awful lot like a runner's blog to me...

Brent Timmons said...

Maybe I'm not a runner at all, and have ingeniously created an imaginary runner persona. Would it still be a "runner's" blog in that case?

Marcia said...

Guess it would be creative writing then.... But why wouldn't your imaginary runner be super fast and without injuries and old (ahem) age to contend with??

Brent Timmons said...

That would be much too easy to see through, and less imaginative. Didn't you ever hear of characters with flaws? Don't confuse imaginary runner Brent with HandyMan.