Pages

description of blog

This photo was taken by our daughter, Sarah Timmons, or my wife, depending on who you ask. We were in Rehoboth Beach, DE on Easter Sunday, 2011.


Several years ago, on the way home from a family vacation, I picked up a notebook and quickly recorded an incident that had occurred involving our son. Eventually, I used that story to illustrate something about my spiritual walk as a believer in Christ. Thus began a deliberate attempt to document the significance of everyday events. Almost any ordinary circumstance in daily life can become fodder for another story. This, almost by definition, lends itself to a blog.

Of course, many of the entries here are just ordinary diary style stuff... the stuff of ordinary blogs. Good grief, I don't want to be ordinary.


Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Arts

Some very good friends of ours invited us to attend an outdoor showing of the movie "Homeward Bound" beside the Riverwalk in Salisbury, MD.  The event was put on by the Salisbury Wicomico Arts Council.  There is something irresistible about outdoor events in the summer.

Roma Old Bay Sausage
We shared dinner together beforehand in our friends' new home.  The old bay sausages expertly barbequed on the grill were a huge hit. 

We were handed a pamphlet at the movie by someone from the Arts Council.  I noticed a quote at the top of the page, which said:  "The arts are a gift to our souls, that we may achieve gladness in the midst of tedious living.  The arts are our entitlement to lift ourselves to higher ground, simply for the asking." 

Finally, someone has put into words why I listen to music, why I drag my family to concerts in the summer, why a good book is a thing to ponder on for weeks, why every dollar spent towards ballet lessons for our girls is a dollar well spent, why the sound of the clarinet and saxophone are music to our ears in our home, why I mix the sound for the family who leads worship at our church, why I badly attempt to accompany that family with the djembe, why I love to see our Sarah draw, why I am fascinated by architecture, and why I write.

Food may actually be a fine art as well.  Maybe that's why I enjoy eating so much.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What great experiences for your kids, and what pleasure for you. There is something in the Arts that enhances our sensitivity to life. By the way, what are Roma Old Bay Sausages?

Brent Timmons said...

Click on the link under the picture and it will take you to their web site. You can buy them in some Food Lion stores here.