Pages

description of blog

This photo was taken by our daughter, Sarah Timmons, or my wife, depending on who you ask. We were in Rehoboth Beach, DE on Easter Sunday, 2011.


Several years ago, on the way home from a family vacation, I picked up a notebook and quickly recorded an incident that had occurred involving our son. Eventually, I used that story to illustrate something about my spiritual walk as a believer in Christ. Thus began a deliberate attempt to document the significance of everyday events. Almost any ordinary circumstance in daily life can become fodder for another story. This, almost by definition, lends itself to a blog.

Of course, many of the entries here are just ordinary diary style stuff... the stuff of ordinary blogs. Good grief, I don't want to be ordinary.


Monday, January 2, 2012

My First Senior Coffee


My favorite mug, by Brooke Gehman
It must have been the distance between the drive-through speaker and the young employee in the restaurant that caused the mistake. After placing my order, it came up on the “Check your order for accuracy” screen.  It was then that the horrible realization of what had happened was staring me in the face.  As I read the words, I realized I had just purchased my first senior coffee for 50 cents.

My first thought was “How old do you have to be to get a senior coffee anyway?”  Then the moral dilemma began to set in.  Do I inform the young attendant that I am pretty sure I don’t qualify as a “senior” under anyone’s definition, or do I let it ride and save the 50 cents?

While I am normally the first one to return incorrect change, this particular moral dilemma did not seem all that critical to solve, so I abandoned that thought, as a more serious issue was at hand.  How had I been labeled a senior?  Was it the poor line of vision between the attendant and the location of the speaker in the drive-through line?  Perhaps a poor quality video system was the culprit. 

As I pulled up to the window, I realized there were two young employees working the drive through.  The one who took the order was not the same one who handed it to me.  She too was young, and was giving me a look that seemed to be saying “How did you manage to get a senior coffee.”  Or perhaps the look meant “Now I know you’re not a senior… what are you trying to do, rip us off?”  Or maybe the reality of the situation had occurred to her and she was thinking “Oops, we made a mistake...We have surely insulted you, and now neither of us knows how to remedy the situation.”

I took my coffee, trying to look senior-ish, which was challenging, since this was my first time.  As I pulled away, I wondered what lesson could possibly be gleaned from this maiden voyage into Senior Citizenship.  Even now, months later, I can find no redeeming value, spiritual or otherwise, in being called old before one’s time.  

Note:  I wrote this story 3 years ago.  The fact I have not been offered a senior coffee since then has provided a small amount of satisfaction.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great story! Just wait til your receipt shows a deduction and you have not said a word!!!!!!!Oh well, we're only as old as we think.