Pages

description of blog

This photo was taken by our daughter, Sarah Timmons, or my wife, depending on who you ask. We were in Rehoboth Beach, DE on Easter Sunday, 2011.


Several years ago, on the way home from a family vacation, I picked up a notebook and quickly recorded an incident that had occurred involving our son. Eventually, I used that story to illustrate something about my spiritual walk as a believer in Christ. Thus began a deliberate attempt to document the significance of everyday events. Almost any ordinary circumstance in daily life can become fodder for another story. This, almost by definition, lends itself to a blog.

Of course, many of the entries here are just ordinary diary style stuff... the stuff of ordinary blogs. Good grief, I don't want to be ordinary.


Sunday, July 8, 2012

Running in 93 Degree Heat

Running in the morning has never been my thing.  I roll out of bed stiff, often with a slight back ache, and have absolutely no desire to go out for a run.  (Note to self:  The morning is a terrible time to make any decisions about future running events.)  So I typically run in the afternoon.  The other day it was 93 degrees when I did a 5 mile run. It felt good.

Assateague Island National Seashore 7/7/12
How can that be, you ask. It's simple anatomy, or physiology, or something. I had listed 4 specific reasons why I can do it, all of which would have been boring (well, more boring) to read. So I'll spare you the details.

Why would anyone want to run when it's that hot? (I also did a short run last week in 98 degree temps.)  Isn't that just plain stupid? I run when I feel most like running, mentally and physically, and that typically happens to be in the afternoon.

There is something satisfying about being able to do it.  My ability to run like this will eventually come to an end.  I want to enjoy it while I can.  I have an acquaintance at a local lumber store who broke his hip (he is younger than I am.)  He would probably do anything to be able to just walk without pain.  I have another friend who would be thrilled just to do anything without pain as her body fights cancer and cancer treatment. I have people close to me who have had strokes, and have broken bones.  I could be walking in any of those shoes one day.  So for now, I run.

Incidentally, while I did feel great during that 5 mile run, about two hours later, I felt like crap.  Not sore, just spent.  And the next day during the short scheduled run after that, I also felt like crap.  (Note to self:  The day following a long run is a terrible time to make any decisions about future running events.)  It is a feeling that will gradually diminish as I begin to regularly do long runs.  But it is a welcome feeling.  I'll take it any day over the alternative.

No comments: